Beagleboard xM is not as popular as the Beaglebone Black and it is not easy to get a Slackware installation for it. Here is an image that will fit into a 16GB micro sdcard (I used a Sandisk Class 10) Click here to download 2GB image.Download
Motorola E680i is not as hackable as the Neo Freerunner but is still pretty neat. Sometimes you just want to use it as a modem; the settings to use if your service provider is Digi:
Phone number: 0162991116, PAP/CHAP authentication, Customize pppd Arguments noauth, modem device /dev/ttyACM0, hardware flow control, connection speed 19200. Set you browser proxy server to 22.214.171.124 port 80 and you are set.
Slackware 12.2 is out! Installing from DVDs are slightly more convenient - you do not need to keep swapping the CDs. DVD drives are cheap :7). Sometimes this is not practical, especially with old laptops with CD-ROM drives. Rather than downloading the six installation CDs, or generating 6 CDROMs from the DVD, you can copy the DVD into thumbdrive. An 8GB thumbdrive will do nicely. You then install from a 'pre-mounted directory' or upgrade using pkgtool.
For some reason, my old Dell Latitude CPi D300XT will not install this way: the setup script terminates prematurely. Next I tried to upgrade from an existing installation of Slackware 12.0, but managed to mess up by running out of disk space (it only has a 6GB harddrive) by accidentally installing KDEI.
Next, I installed Slackware 12.2 into a 40GB external USB harddrive. If you are using a 16GB thumbdrive, you may want to avoid wearing it out by not specifiying a swap partition. In addition, append 'rootdelay=10' into the '/etc/lilo.conf' file ('append="rootdelay=10 vt.default_utf8=0"'). Now the Latitude does not boot from USB drive: it is a BIOS problem. So make a bootable CD from the DVD to boot from. The USBdrive now boots OK: just press Tab and type e.g., 'hugesmp.s root=/dev/sda1 rootdelay=10 rdinit= ro'
Now since I have already made a bootable Slackware 12.2 CD, which is practically equivalent to D1, why not just make another, D2 and install from CD-ROM? Well, I messed up D1: it boots but does not install. So maybe a transfer from USBdrive will work. First boot from the CD-ROM like you are going to install from D1. Next partition Latitude, maybe a 500MB swap partition /dev/hda5 and a bootable /dev/hda1. You can use cfdisk and pkgtool to format the swap partition. Next create a filesystem: 'mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hda1'. tar sounds good as a first try, so let us mount the USB drive and make a tarball, assuming the entire USBdrive istallation is in the first partition (/dev/sda1): 'mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /tmp/usb'.Next make the tarball: 'cd /tmp/usb' and then, 'tar -cpf ../backup.tar .' This seems to take the best part of a day. Next. transfer it to the Latitude harddrive: 'mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /tmp/hd' and then 'cd /tmp/hd' and finally 'tar -xpf /tmp/backup.tar'. Next, edit the Latitude drive's copy: 'vi /tmp/hd/etc/fstab' and change all the references from sda to hda. Then edit lilo.conf: 'vi /tmp/hd/etc/lilo.conf' and change the first line to 'boot = /dev/hda', and also 'root = /dev/hda1'.
Reboot using the boot CD, but now use the local harddrive filessystem: 'hugesmp.s root=/dev/hda1 rdinit= ro'. Log in, and immediately run liloconfig using the modified /etc/lilo.conf. You should now be able to boot as normal.
Log in as root and set up X (use xorgconfig), everything should now run. Unfortunately if you logged in as anything else except root, 'startx' gets you this error instead: Fatal server error: Cannot open log file "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"
Now Bathory offers a cure. Modifying it slightly, the solution becomes : 'chmod u+s /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg'. Now a search shows a whole bunch of files affected, so just download this script and run it.
If you want to use test26.s as your kernel, you have to finish installation as per Patrick's instructions, reboot and complete the installation as root thus:
1. First mount the Slackware 11.0 CD 4: 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom'
2. 'cd /mnt/cdrom/testing-2.6.18/linux-2.6.18/'
3. 'upgradepkg *.tgz'
This will install the required kernel modules and source code.
An upgrade to Slackware 10.1 managed to splat my Samtron 75E monitor resolution back to 1024x768 60Hz. Changes to /etc/X11/XF86Config did not work; it seems the config file has been changed to /etc/X11/xorg.conf. This finally worked: Run xorgconfig as root (log in directly, or use ssh. su does not work) For Samtron 75E, set your horizontal frequency to 30-70 and your vertical frequency to 50-160
If you upgraded your KDE, and Konsole gives you this message: '-misc-console-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-80-iso10646-1 not found',
your /etc/fonts/local.conf needs to be updated to point to the fonts directory.
The cure is from James Richard Tyrer
This worked for me:
Add this as the next to last line of the file just before: </fontconfig>:
Execute as root:
And restart KDE.
If you are doing a clean compile of mjpegtools 1.6.2 with libquicktime and you get this error: undefined reference to `quicktime_read_audio', You need libquicktime 0.9.3 and not the later 0.9.4
I installed Slackware 10.2 without X Windows and KDE without problems Later, I installed the latter two using:
upgradepkg --install-new /mnt/cdrom/slackware/*/*.tgz
This went well, except when I tried to start X Windows with startx, KDE did not start and I just got a bash console. This just means .xinitrc (which contains the startkde script) has been deleted, and just need to be restored.